Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Radish and Some Harvest

I do not have much success with radish except for this. I almost threw away the seedling initially as it was not growing at all for many months. I then replanted it again in the same container but move it to a different spot and it suddenly started to grow real quick! Guess it wasn't happy with its previous spot! 





Harvested it today and that spot is taken by another radish seedling.  :)  Hopefully the new seedling will grow as well as this one!


********************


Garlic

My garlic greens! After my initial success with growing garlic greens a couple of months ago, I tried it again, and I'm happy that these are growing well too. My main purpose is for the greens, not the garlic. But when I pulled out a plant a few weeks ago, I was surprised to see a rounded garlic bulb already forming. So I planted it right back and thought it would be interesting to let it grow, just for the garlic. I do not have any experience in growing garlic and when is the right time to harvest. Diana is kind enough to advice me that it would take about 6-8 months to harvest, and when the leaves are turning yellow, it is a sign that it is ready to be harvested. Thank you, Diana, much appreciated. Am waiting very patiently now! (err... actually, very impatiently!)  : o)


Spotted a dill seedling in the pot of garlic.



********************



Harvest, same old veggies!

 Malabar spinach, these grow really fast!


More Belimbing fruits! Cook these in Asam Pedas Ikan Pari with Daun Kesum, heavenly delicious! Gave some belimbing fruits away to the makcik selling nasi lemak.  She was so happy! 



Ladies fingers! The last batch. I left the rest to dry on the plant to collect the seeds. Sowed some new seeds today. Looking forward to see them sprout!



Happy Gardening!

24 comments:

  1. Can we grow garlic? I've tried several times unsuccessfully. I thought they probably need cooler weather.

    Great harvest you have there! I normally do not show my harvest because I like to pick and eat or cook immediately. I think the plant is still full of live energy and it will be passed on to our body. This energy will diminish over time if we harvest and keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radish takes longer to develop here in our hot climate. Good try on the garlic! And I am amaze by the belimbings. They are like those I saw at pasar malam yesterday. Happy cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garlic in KL? That's good! Tehy look so healthy! My radish prefer to stay small all the time....sigh...!
    Look at Belimbing! So green and good! Is this different with the one with star shape? i always imagine them in star shape! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have not tried cooking with belimbing, but I imagine the taste must be sour and tasty... good luck with your garlic... I shall be planting mine in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same experience on sowing seeds and it did not germinate or grow well. But went I tried on other place, it grows much better. Must have been the soil. Oh your garlic look so healthy. I am amazed that garlic can grow so well in the tropics, this is the first time I seen it. Good Luck. Just make sure garlic don't have too much wet feet. Does not like to be water-logged. Wah terliur belimbing buloh. It must be 3 years since I had them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your vegetables are so beautiful. I just love the radish, and the crimson okra. I always enjoy coming to your garden. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely garden. Fresh is the best. I will miss my garden now that the cool weather is coming. Thank you for your visit to my blog. I always look forward to visits and your comments. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a darling garden! I like the words ladyfinger so much more than okra. It adds a bit of flair:)

    Garlic just never grows for me. Maybe I should take your advice and move it!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! That pizza recipe will be just perfect for the cookbook party! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your harvest looks beautiful! I planted garlic last year and failed. I have to try again since I use a lot of garlic in my cooking. Your okra looks great. Have a terrific week and happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I can't believe all the nice vegetables and herbs you grow from pots. Great photos and great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great harvest! I like so much the radish, cooks with the fish soup...so delicious. Your radish looks so healthy. Belimbing so many in may garden...don't know what to do, my brother dried them with salt and make some pickles, extra than that just leave it there...and the chickens ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I would like to grow lady fingers, can you grow them in a pot? But here is not as hot as where you are ....

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're so lucky to have such a fruitful garden! I would love to have one eventually, but my tiny NYC apartment is not exactly spacious enough for any other living thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so lucky to have such a fruitful garden! I would love to have one eventually, but my tiny NYC apartment is not exactly spacious enough for any other living thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so lucky to have such a fruitful garden! I would love to have one eventually, but my tiny NYC apartment is not exactly spacious enough for any other living thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me gusta ver tu blog y tus plantas,hija mia que manos tienes .Te crece todo.Buen trabajo.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    Recently there is a lot of rain and I think this affected the plant that we grow. Many of them either went back to plant heaven or no longer growing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you please, please teach me how to plant garlic in Malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, garlic... I like it and it would be great to have it in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heloo, I like get some red okra seed to grow in my garden, can you tell me where I can obtain some please. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam,
      I bought the seeds from Tesco. Hope you can find it. Are you from Malaysia?
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete