Sunday, October 19, 2014

Growing Leeks

I love eating leeks. I usually stir-fry them in a mixed veggie dish, use them in  pasta meals and leeks make such a delicious filling for savoury pies and tarts. Leeks are really easy to grow. If you have any empty containers or pots lying around, then make full use of them, grow these veggies in your garden. All you need are some leek bulbs from the leeks that you buy from the market for your cooking pot. About 3 months later, you would be grinning when you harvest your leeks, like I did!  :)



My homegrown leeks.


Lovely aren't they?  :)



Planted the leek bulbs on 05/06/2014, harvested on 30/08/2014.


I've replanted the bulbs again, third generation! 


What did I do with the harvested leeks?


******************

How I Grow Leeks in my potted garden :

By using the leek bulbs 

 I started off with some nice leeks which I bought from the market.


 Cut the bottom (white) part of the leeks, with roots attached, about 3" from the base.


 Cut off all of the roots and discard roots.
(the same method which I grow spring onions the express way, from my blog post, here).


This is the part that you need, the white part of the leek without any old roots.


Plant the leek bulbs in soil mixed with some compost and fertilizer. Water once a day, do not let the soil dry out.   



Always maintain the soil in a moist condition.
Depending on the size and rate of growth, they can be harvested in less than 3 months. Now that you have seen how easy it is to grow leeks right in your own garden, I do hope that you will give it a try, if you have not grown leeks before. 

I have recently bought some leek seeds, and will be sowing them soon. It will be the first time I'm trying with leek seeds and looking forward to it.



Happy Gardening!





16 comments:

  1. Wow!! I am super amazed! You are great in growing edibles!! I have stopped doing this after the bulbs rotted and their leaves broke. Whenever I grow bulbs the rain will just pour non-stop! Anyway, I think I need to get them start off healthy like yours haha... Thank you for showing the way, Joyce. You have a great week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      Thanks for your kind words! :)
      I am always learning new things when it comes to growing edibles. Have my share of failures too! Hope you have success should you decide to grow some leeks. You have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Joyce... how are you? Excellent tutorial on how to grow leeks... I once ate leeks as a cream soup in a restaurant and it tasted very good... I tried to grow them once through seeds, but failed completely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lrong Lim
      I'm well, thank you so much!
      Leeks are really excellent in so many dishes. I have recently purchased some leek seeds, and am now clearing some of my old plants, to make room for new ones. Hopefully I will have success with the seeds!

      Delete
  3. You remind me into my leek's seedlings. I was so busy this week, so my garden looked so poor. Anyway I have never grown leek before, thanks for sharing me the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Endah,
      If you like eating leeks, then it is worth to grow some of your own!

      Delete
  4. Joyce, it is that easy? I must try this method. I love leeks stir fried with prawns. I have finally planted spring onions using onions that have already sprouted. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong
      Try it! It really is easy! I love, love eating leeks. Delicious in just any way it is cooked. So glad to know about your sprouted spring onions are doing well!
      Now your next project is "Leeks"!!

      Delete
  5. Amboi, cantik nya. Bila buat pie lagi? wink wink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! you can really grow and bake with them! Excellent! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malar,
      Yes, it is excellent indeed when we harvest our veggies from the garden to the kitchen pot!
      Looks like you will be harvesting your beans soon!

      Delete
  7. Hi Joyce!
    I have never grown Leeks before. Actually, I rarely buy them which is a shame because they are sooooo good and versatile! I haven't even planted by garlic bulbs yet but, I do believe I will buy me some leeks to plant! I had no idea it was pretty sumple. Thank you so much ofr sharing Joyce. You have quite the bounty there:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful garden. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce! Thanks for sharing! i seldom use leek in my cooking and have never grow them! You inspire me to groe them =) Thumbs up for u!

    ReplyDelete